If I had any graphic design ability, this post would have been soooo much easier to read. I, however, do not, so you will have to do the best you can. I’ve centered and italisized the original post; maybe that will help some.
So here’s the 50 Things Post, dated May 18, 2010. In my enthusiasm for the spirit of the idea, I may have been a bit overzealous and ambitious. It is a failing I admit with pride. Life threw our family a curve of epic proportions in June, and we have been recovering from that ever since. I had not the inclination or interest in the list for a period of time over the summer. I’m ready to revisit it now, I think, and I’m still enamored of the project. Here’s the update:
May 18, 2010. Exactly 6 months before my 50th birthday.
May 18, 2011. Exactly 6 months after my 50th birthday.
In order to celebrate managing to stay alive, happy, and healthy to my 50th, I am going to try 50 new things this year. Some are huge (hike the Great Wall of China). Some are tiny (drink a lime gimlet). All are things I have never before done. And in that same spirit of celebration, my friends and family will be participating with me.
I’ve had a few more suggestions since my last blog, and those will be reflected in the list. I’ve decided to be a little less OCD, and a little more organic in the list. I’m not going to preemptively remove anything from the list; there will be more than 50 things. In my daily life, as I always do, I will seek out new and exciting experiences, and may very well add something to the list spontaneously, maybe even after I’ve done it. I will attempt to do all, but my primary goal will be to accomplish 50 New Things.
You all have been so enthusiastic and free-spirited about all this; thanks for the suggestions and the WILLINGNESS to do them with me!
1. Streak through Publix – Dora (You are SOOO on the hook for this)
2. Do a Bob Ross painting – Glenda
3. Drink a lime gimlet – Sam M (Next weekend?)
4. Fire-hoop – Glenda
5. Color my hair pink/blue/something for a race – Glenda/Amy
6. Go to the Superbowl
7. Scuba-dive Cayman or Honduras or Bahamas – Fran
8. Write a song – Beth
9. Hike a 14-er in Colorado – Ben (May get to do this next week)
10. Write a children’s book – Kristen
11. Be in a live audience for a TV show – Kristen
12. Eat crumb cake at Carlos’ Bakery in NYC – Kristen
13. Horseback riding on the beach – Kristen
14. Go parasailing – Kristen
15. Go bungy-jumping
16. Big-ass rubber band thingy – Mandi
17. Run 50 miles – Vic
18. Attend Loy Krathong, the sky lantern festival in Thailand – Vic
19. Hike the Great Wall of China – Vic
20. Swim in the largest swimming pool in the world, in Chile – Vic
21. See sea turtles hatch and head for the ocean – Vic
22. Go sky diving – Phil
23. Learn to play pinochle, mah jongg, canasta or gin
24. Eat gefilte fish with horseradish
25. Dress like a man and go with a man to a straight bar and a gay bar (They don’t know it yet, but I’m going to do this with Chris and Bryson when they turn 21)
26. Have a colonoscopy – mom
27. Get a tattoo – Amy (Done!)
28. Go to South Beach, Miami
29. Attend lighting of candles in Jerusalem
30. Take ballroom dance lessons – Tonya
31. Meet the President
32. Do nothing for one day: no work, no workouts, no computer, no phone, no TV
33. Go on a photo safari
34. Visit all the continents
35. Panhandle on a corner
36. Ride the TransCanadian Railway
37. Drink Paddle of Destiny at Mellow Mushroom – Susan (what a no-brainer – we can do this on Friday!)
38. Renew marriage vows – Mike
39. Finish an Ironman – me
40. Climb a redwood tree – Amy
41. Hike the Adirondacks – Becky
42. Learn to swordfight – Ted (Tuesday night if I’m not in Colorado)
43. Drive a race car – Ted
44. Hike the AT – Ted
45. Take a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class – Shannon
46. Kayak the Gauley – Sam
47. Do a road trip – Brianna
48. Swim with dolphins – Brianna
49. Full moon party in Koh phangan, Thailand – Lila
50. Visit Iguazu Falls in Argentina – Lila
51. Go dog sledding in Alaska – Lila
52. Become a licensed minister and marry someone – Lila (OK, girlie, I’ve done the become-a-licensed-minister part – just gotta find someone who is disrespectful enough of the institution to allow me to do it!!)
53. Swim with sharks – Lila
54. Jump off of a waterfall – Lila
55. Watch Dr. Zhivago (how did I miss that?)
56. Memorize Pi to 50 places
57. Go see the Formula 1 race in Monaco – Brother Eric
58. Sit through an entire episode of: O’Reilly/Beck/Colter/Limbaugh – Brother Eric
59. Make Bananas Foster
60. See the Tour de France in person, not just on Versus at 2:00 in the morning!
61. Place a $1000 bet on one hand of blackjack – Brother Eric
I’d like to add here
#62. Ride my bike around Cade’s Cove in the moonlight. Done.
So there it is. My achievement ratio is disappointingly low. BUT – remember the disclaimer. If I don’t get it accomplished this year, it rolls right onto the Life Bucket List. And the ratio doesn’t take into account things I have done, since May, for the first time that DIDN’T make the list. Like bat wrangling in England. And trying to catch a longhorn. And manually expressing my dogs’ anal glands. Oh yeah. Just couldn’t bring myself to blog about that one.
And just to humble myself, this is my getup for cycling in overcast weather. This is actually what people see when they pass me in their cars. Scary.
Fave iPod random today:
(and in praise of the Pod – this is my 4-year-old iPod I got when Sam ordered his MAC for college – it was the premium with the purchase – engraved on the back with “World’s Greatest Mom” – love that kid – and it held up the entire 1 hour and 45 minutes of the bike ride!)
the HUGE opening number from Pirates of the Caribbean – great to cycle to!
Trailer for upcoming blogs: Cleaning out the Closet (I’ll try to find a way to add porn to that post to make it readable), and book review of Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (if I can find a way to slice my wrists and bleed on the keyboard).
Thanks for reading!
September 14, 2010 at 10:38 am
Just so you know, I’m absolutely withholding that Macadamia Honey Wine until you make it out to learn sword fighting.
September 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm
I can live with that. And it’s on the list, so I WILL be learning sword fighting with you. Sorry about that – it’s that notorious spontanaeity again. I’m working again next Tuesday, and the next, then we’re biking the Natchez Trace on the 5th — next available Tues is the 12th, unless there are classes another night of the week somewhere else?